We came up with this recipe during a visit to the grocery store. We were thinking about what to cook for dinner and so happened to pass the seafood counter. Scallops were on sale. We love tacos. Since we always have ingredients to cook a mean curry at home (a MUST), we looked at each other & telepathically thought, "Scallop Curry Tacos." YOLO. This is South Asian cuisine with a Mexican twist.
Serving Size: 3-4 | Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 1 lb raw sea scallops; room temperature (if you are buying your scallops frozen, thaw them out and be sure to remove the moisture from thawing with paper towels)
- White or yellow tortillas
- 1/2 onion diced
- 5 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 1/2 tbs chopped ginger
- 4 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 head of cilantro chopped (use the stems, why not?!)
- 2 tbsp tamarind juice
- 3-4 Thai chilies chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 5-7 curry leaves; whole
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs Fijian Masala
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1/2 head of cilantro; chopped
- 3-4 quartered limes
- Prepare the ingredients. Set to the side.
- Heat non-stick sauté pan to medium-high heat; add 1/2 tbs ghee.
- Wait until the pan is heated. Add scallops (careful not to overcrowd the pan). Sear scallops 2 1/2 minutes on each side. Once you have seared all of your scallops, transfer them to a plate and set them aside.
- Heat non-stick saucepan to medium-high heat; add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Once heated, add cumin seed, mustard seed, fenugreek, and curry leaves. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, Thai chilies, and ginger; cook for another 2 minutes or until onions are slightly translucent.
- Add tomatoes cook for 2-3 minutes until tomatoes have cooked down.
- Add spices; turmeric, red chili powder, masala, and salt. Mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add scallops to the tomato mixture and stir well; Cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add cilantro and tamarind juice to finish. You may add more salt to taste if needed.
- Heat up your store-bought tortillas, add the delicious scallop curry mix, and garnish with freshly chopped onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
We are set to launch our spices soon. If you want to get on the priority list for pre-orders, please click here!
We sincerely hope you enjoyed this dish. Take a quick peek at our store for any items you may need to recreate this delicious recipe!