Serving size: (2) 8 slice pizzas | Prep time: 2 hours | Cook time: 35 minutes
There are three key elements to making this dish-- the “sauce,” the tandoori chicken, and the crisp and fluffy pizza dough. Below, I have listed the ingredients separately for each. You can always make this pizza your own by purchasing pre-made dough or choose to nix the chicken if you are pressed for time. If you plan on executing this pizza “to a T,” then we highly suggest making this with one other person (your honey perhaps) because it will quicken the process.
- 3-5 medium tomatoes on the vine
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh ginger & garlic, chopped
- Optional: 1 whole serrano chili, chopped
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 Tbs fijian masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs Ghee
- Heat non-stick saucepan to medium-high heat; add 1 Tbsp ghee.
- Once heated, add cumin seed, mustard seed, fenugreek, and curry leaves. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped onion, serrano chilies, garlic, and ginger; cook for another 2 minutes or until onions are slightly translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes have cooked down.
- Add spices; turmeric, red chili powder, masala, and salt. Mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Blend in Vitamix or other blender until smooth; place in fridge to cool.
- 3-4 chicken skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 can coconut cream
- ¼ cup fresh garlic paste
- ¼ cup fresh ginger paste
- ¼ cup mustard oil
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 2 Tbs Fijian masala
- 1-2 Tbs red chili powder (more for added spice)
- *½ Tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 4.8qt pyrex baking dish
*If you want more of a red color on your chicken, add more paprika right before placing in the oven.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a mixing bowl, marinate chicken thighs in tsp, salt, lemon juice, garlic, and ginger paste. Let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the following tandoori spice base: 1 can of coconut cream, 2 Tbsp of Fijian masala, 1-2 Tbsp red chili powder (more for added spice), ½ Tbs smoked paprika, ¼ cup fresh garlic paste, ¼ cup fresh ginger paste, ¼ cup mustard oil, 1 tsp of turmeric, ½ tsp of salt.
- Add the tandoori spice base to bowl of chicken. Mix well.
- Add chicken to glass baking dish. Careful not to overcrowd.
- Sprinkle top with a little more with smoked paprika for color.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and chop chicken into small bite-sized pieces.
- Set oven to 450°F for pizza.
- 2 and ¼ tsp Red Star Platinum instant yeast (1 standard packet)
- 1 and ⅓ cups of warm water (not too hot or you will kill the yeast)
- 3 and ½ cup all-purpose flour, plus more for hands and dusting
- 1Tbs granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs avocado oil (or olive oil)
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2, 12 inch or 1, 16 inch pizza pan(s)
- Optional: sprinkle of cornmeal dusting on pan
- Add instant yeast, warm water, and sugar to medium sized mixing bowl. Stir/whisk until blended.
- Give the yeast mixture time to bubble; 5-10 minutes.
- Then add oil, flour, and salt to bubbling yeast mixture.
- Dust cutting board with flour. With hands, incorporate the ingredients together until slightly firm, slightly sticky.
- Place dough on cutting board and knead. Note: Poke it with your finger, if it slowly bounces back, it’s ready to rise.
- Place dough (aka dough baby) into a greased mixing bowl (the same bowl), cover tightly with aluminum foil, a towel, or plastic wrap. Note: To cut down on rising time, place bowl with dough on top of warm oven (not under flame). The heat from the tandoori chicken cooking in the oven will allow the dough to rise faster.
- Let dough rise until it doubles in size; 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Lightly grease pizza pans; lightly sprinkle cornmeal on pan for a crunchy crust.
- (Now the fun part) Punch down risen dough to release air bubbles. Note: You can either divide the dough in half to make 1 large pizza or 2 medium pizzas.
- With hands, roll dough into a circle. With pads of fingertips, continuously press on the innermost part of the dough (working your way out) into a circle without touching the crust that is forming as the circle expands. (Video tutorial coming soon!)
- Transfer pizza dough to pan. Brush with ghee.
- Add curry sauce and top with cheese, red onion, tomato, garlic, sliced chili’s.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Add chopped cilantro. Serve alongside tamarind and/or cilantro chutney.
Viola! That’s amore!
We are set to launch our spices soon. If you want to get on the priority list for pre-orders, please click here!
We sincerely hope you enjoyed this dish. Take a quick peek at our store for any items you may need to recreate this delicious recipe!